||Toxic Part of Plant
||Time Period for Symptoms
|Castor Bean/Castor Oil Plant
||The seeds of the plant are the most toxic part.
||Diarrhea, stomach irritation, abdominal pain, increased heart rate, convulsions, collapse, death
||Most symptoms appear within 18 to 24 hours after ingestion. Death typically occurs with 36 hours due to anaphylactic shock and stomach irritation
||Call vet immediately if your dog has ingested castor seeds. The plant is primarily found in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, California, and Oregon
||Any part of the tree except for the berries (bark, leaves, etc)
||Trembling, weakness, stomach upset, difficulty breathing, incoordination, sudden death due to cardiac failure
||Death is very sudden – cows and horses can die from yew poisoning within 5 minutes. Signs can show up to two days later.
||Yew is extremely common and oftentimes is used as an ornamental shrub. Make sure to never leave clippings in your yard.
|Cherry, Plum or Peach Trees
||Damaged leaves, pits and all other parts of the plant
||Respiratory problems, anxiety, collapse, staggering, sudden death
||Few minutes to about an hour for symptoms to set in and death to occur due to cyanide poisoning.
||Symptoms occur rapidly. If your pet is still alive 2-3 hours after ingesting the leaves or pits, they will usually survive, but it is always best to contact your vet.
||The entire plant is toxic, fresh or dried and can kill even in small amounts
||Cardiac issues, stomach irritation, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, trembling, coma, death
||Signs develop quickly and can cause death with little to no warning.
||This plant is common in warm climates such as California, Arizona and Florida, as well as indoors. If you see your dog eating this plant, call your vet immediately.
||Extremely High, depending on the variety
||The entire mushroom is poisonous
||Symptoms can range from vomiting and bloody diarrhea to coma and death
||Symptoms develop 2-5 hours after your dog has ingested the mushroom, with death occurring 4-6 days after ingestion
||Make sure to comb your yard on a regular basis to make sure that no mushrooms have sprouted, especially in wetter climates.
||The bulb of the plant is the most toxic part
||Severe stomach irritation, central nervous system depression, cardiac abnormalities, convulsions, drooling, loss of appetite
||Symptoms will develop in a few hours. Usually, the dog will vomit out the toxins, unless it is a Lily of the Valley, in which vet attention is immediately required.
||If you have a pooch that enjoys digging, make sure there are no tulip or other plant bulbs available to him.
||Low to Severe
||Any tobacco product is potentially lethal
||Vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, collapse, respiratory difficulties, respiratory paralysis
||Smaller dogs are more affected than larger dogs. Call a vet as soon as possible. Symptoms typically occur 10-15 minutes after ingestion.
||Never allow your dogs to be near tobacco plants or products like canned chew and cigarettes. Make sure they do not have access to spit cups or ash trays either.